Cyber and Information Security
As society becomes increasingly reliant on electronic information, and as the number of security incidents steadily rise, the demand for a new breed of information technology professionals keeps growing. Cyber security is an emerging subject combining all the skills required to understand and react to these threats and this course has been designed to be holistic in nature. The aim is to produce professionals with a broad range of cyber security skills, including an investigative mindset, as this has been identified as an important and often overlooked aspect of cyber security.
The Bachelor of Science in Cyber and Information Security is designed to meet current and anticipated needs for highly trained professionals. As a Cyber Security student, you will have the chance to build on the foundations of computer science and information technology, and develop a mastery of information assurance and security concepts, tactics and strategies.
The general mission of the Bachelor of Science in Cyber and Information Security program is to provide students with a strong academic foundation that provides a clear picture of how the functional areas of cyber and information security work together to ensure the confidentiality, integrity, and availability of information and network-centric services and information.
The primary goal of this Bachelor’s program is to help students link their professional aspirations with employment opportunities in government and industry.
In addition to the common program objectives, specific objectives include:
Ethical and Social Objective
- Graduates will have an understanding of ethical principles necessary for those entrusted with knowledge of tools and techniques that ensure the security of organizational information.
- Graduates will have an understanding of the possible social, economic, cultural and environmental impact of their decisions in a global and social context.
Upon graduation, students will:
- Be prepared for employment in the field of cyber and information security in a business sector of choice with a strong understanding of cyber and information security concepts, project management process and team management skills
- Be able to understand the laws, regulations, and customary expectations as they relate to information system and network security, individually identifiable information and related privacy concerns
- Demonstrate familiarity with security operations and administration, demonstrate a working knowledge of infrastructure and operational security, know how to select and deploy access controls, conduct security analysis and monitoring, and apply principles of risk, response and recovery
Some of the areas of work into which our graduates venture include:
- Information Assurance Analyst
- Vulnerability Assessment
- Intrusion Detection Specialist
- Security Analyst
- Security Systems Administration
- Penetration Testing